Mecum High Performance Auctions is offering this K3 3166 at their Mecum at Monterey Auction on August 15. The car is listed as Lot S153. Allard enthusiasts will know this car as Jann Kinzinger's old K3, affectionately known as "Beowulf". The auction catalog describes the car as follows...
"The K3, introduced in late 1952 had a 100" wheelbase, envelope body and full weather protection for touring. K3 chassis 3166 was only the third one built. Configured for Chrysler V-8 power, it came to the U.S. without and engine and was bought by Frank Pohanka, Jr., the son of a Washington D.C. dealership owner, who installed a high performance Oldsmobile engine. It may have been raced in early SCCA events because later Pohanka was a competitor in the mid-fifties but its history isn't known today.
- Known Rally and ownership history
- Full restoration
- DeDion rear axle, 3.55 ratio
- Freshly rebuilt Oldsmobile Rocket engine
- Three 2-barrel carbs on an Offenhauser intake
- 3-speed transmission
- Silver painted wire wheels
- Three point bolt-in roll bar
- Banjo spoke steering wheel"
For more information, please visit Mecum's web site.